item.data

Hi

I’m just backing up a client’s live Rhythmyx tree and noticed that there’s a file in the root named item.data that’s 2.5 gb. The item.data file on the dev server is 0 kb.

Does anyone know what this file is/does?

Cheers
James

Hello

I have just looked at our 6.52 servers and the item.data file in 0Kb in both out production and development servers, however, we are still migrating from the current Live 5.7 system which does not have the file at all.

Yes, it would be useful to know what the purpose of this file is, especially if it is likely to grow to a size like the one Jimbo refers to once we go live with 6.52

Hi

Sorry forgot to say, it’s 6.1.

Cheers
James

I’m the client referred to in the OP and the file was 2.5Gb yestertday lunch time but 600Mb yesterday evening and only 135Mb now.

I’m wondering if it’s some sort of swap file? That would account for the fluctuating size and why it’s zero in dev systems.

That file contains serialized objects that are cached by the system. The data it contains is only used while the server is running.

In v6.5, the cache files were moved into a “cache” subdirectory. In the upcoming 6.6 release, we will no longer cache to disk at all.