Referring to value of drop-down

I’m sure that this has been addressed elsewhere but my searches haven’t turned up exactly what I’m looking for.

In an application’s selector properties, using manually entered sql, I’d like to be able to refer to the current value of a drop down - not the drop down’s display value but it’s value.

In my case sys_title is determined using a drop down and I’m thinking something like this might work:

select categoryid from rx_development_lookups.dbo.category where parentid = :"PSXPARAM/sys_title"

Am I correct or would this refer to sys_title’s current display string and not it’s current value?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

So is there anyway for fields in the content editor to communicate their values to other fields? Seems like pretty basic functionality but I haven’t found a straight answer as to how to make this happen yet.

Any help much appreciated.

Travis,

In a Content Editor, you can use the sys_CopyParameter Input Transform for copy the value of one field to another.

RLJII

There are 2 different issues here, and we need to be clear on which is which.

If you need a control which depends on the selected value of a prior control, you must do this in JavaScript on the front end. We’ve done these kinds of custom controls in the past, but there’s nothing that ships “in the box” that works like this.

If you simply need the value of one field in another field, the easiest way is to use the sys_CopyParameter function as describe in Bob’s post above.

Dave

[QUOTE=dbenua;8571]There are 2 different issues here, and we need to be clear on which is which.

If you need a control which depends on the selected value of a prior control, you must do this in JavaScript on the front end. We’ve done these kinds of custom controls in the past, but there’s nothing that ships “in the box” that works like this.

If you simply need the value of one field in another field, the easiest way is to use the sys_CopyParameter function as describe in Bob’s post above.

Dave[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies.

Although sys_CopyParameter might come in handy, the former situation is what we need: the list of possible items in drop down B is determined by the selected item in drop down A. Is there a discussion somewhere on how to create JavaScript for this?

To complicate things a bit more (maybe), upon selecting an item from drop down A, a hidden field needs to be set with a value which is pulled from the database via a query. Is something like this also accomplished with JavaScript?

Thanks!

Here are some similiar threads: