Reminder Transition - email notification

Hi

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I’m wondering if it’s possible to have the automatic reminder notification to just go the document owner and not everyone in the community.

We’ve lots of communities but they are all set up the same. Each community has its own workflow and three roles, editor, reviewer and super user. The problem I’m getting is as the volume of content is increasing the number of reminder emails is also going up. This is sending loads of emails to our users which is getting on their nerves. I don’t want to delete the notification because it’s a core reason for us having a CMS but in an ideal world the notification wouldn’t be sent to all users.

We’ve had a similar issue with the ‘reject content’ notification from a reviewer and I’m testing the ad-hoc notification in some communities so the reject email is only sent to the person the reviewer wants to send to but I’m not sure how to do this for an automatic transition.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian

If too many people are receiving the email the first thing I’d check is the notify option in the workflow/state roles screen and make sure this is set to “no” for the roles you dont want to receive the email.

Next I would look at customising the notfication email. In 6 you now have access to the system fields so for instance you can put the sys_title in the subject of the email.

Here one I’ve done for another client:

Subject: RX: “${sys_title}” needs reworking
Body:

Dear Author

The following piece of content needs to be reworked with the following comments:

$wfcomment

Contentid: ${sys_contentid}
Title: ${sys_title}
Content Last Modified By: ${sys_contentlastmodifier}
Content Last Modified Date: ${sys_contentlastmodifieddate}

ActionPanel URL:

There used to be a workflow action in the old 5 toolkit that sent the email back to the original content author but not sure if something similar has been done for 6.

Cheers
James

Hi,

We would also have a similar problem. When asking if this is possible we were told that this is not possible and therefore we have completely disabled all notifications, which kind of defeats the point of workflows.

One way round this might be to do adhoc assignments, but this is a bit of a pain.

Thanks

Georgina

[QUOTE=jimbo;1743]
If too many people are receiving the email the first thing I’d check is the notify option in the workflow/state roles screen and make sure this is set to “no” for the roles you dont want to receive the email.

Cheers
James[/QUOTE]

The ‘Notification = No’ option seems a bit random on my system. In my public state - where the reminder notification comes from - I’ve got Admin role with Notification = No. However we all still get the emails!

Also as it’s a reminder email and the content could be created by Editor, reviewer or a super user I need to leave notify to Yes. That in a way is the problem: lots of content and many users.

We are not yet using Velocity, just creating the templates on our Dev box at the moment, so I can’t use the suggestion of the email content but I’ll save it for later so thanks for the code!

There used to be a workflow action in the old 5 toolkit that sent the email back to the original content author but not sure if something similar has been done for 6.

If this is possible for auto transition notifications in v6 then that would be a great help as Georgina has said no notifications is a drastic step which kind of defeats the objective of the workflow!

Ian