Upgrade 5.7 to 6.5 hangs at install of full text search

I’m trying to upgrade a (copy of) a client 5.7 system onsite. The upgrade process gets to the progress bar for installing full text search and hangs at either 98% or 100%, “creating uninstaller”. System activity becomes nil, the java.exe process sitting using 0 CPU and no change occurs thereafter in the amount of memory being used.

This is happening repeatedly with a healthy 5.7 system, and there are no apparent error log entries, messages or anything to suggest what’s going wrong.

I think this is the stage in the installation process where one or two command windows pop up and progress through some command.

Is there a workaround for this? Is it a known issue?

Hi Andrew

You could try running the upgrade in console mode:

Setup.exe -is:javaconsole

Cheers
James

I did this. The place it stops from the console is:

“Converting old exits directory: C:\Rhythmyx\Exits”

The only difference between a standard 5.7 exits folder and my one (which has upgraded successfully on another system) is installation of the PSO toolkit for 5.7.

I wonder if I could try using the Exits folder from that other system pre-upgrade, or use a standard one (but how would I be able to add the 5.7 exits back after upgrade)…

When the system says it is “creating uninstaller”, it’s actually executing the upgrade plugins. Some of these plugins scan the database, and so the length of time that they take depends on the size of the tables.

We’ve seen this process take quite a long time, depending on the data in the system.

Dave

This has now been left for 15 hours with no movement, and the java.exe process uses no CPU and the memory use is constant. I will ask if they have any activity in the database.

A check on the database reveals this:

I got one of our DBA’s to check activity on the database and he found the following.

There are 4 connections to the database left this morning, none of which have done anything since 16:32 yesterday. One of the processes is blocking another - the blocker is:

DELETE FROM RhythmyxLIVE.dbo.CONTENTVARIANTS
WHERE RhythmyxLIVE.dbo.CONTENTVARIANTS.CONTENTTYPEID
NOT IN (SELECT RhythmyxLIVE.dbo.CONTENTTYPES.CONTENTTYPEID FROM RhythmyxLIVE.dbo.CONTENTTYPES)

while the blocked process is:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM RhythmyxLIVE.dbo.CONTENTVARIANTS

I’ve seen this exact same error on an upgrade. What we did was revert to the pre-upgraded environment and then run the following SQL statement before running setup.exe…

DELETE FROM CONTENTVARIANTS WHERE CONTENTVARIANTS.CONTENTTYPEID NOT IN (SELECT CONTENTTYPES.CONTENTTYPEID FROM CONTENTTYPES)

Then run the upgrade installer and everything worked fine. There is a bug logged for this - Rx-12993 “Content variants upgrade plugin deadlocks under certain circumstances causing installer to hang during 5.x -> 6.x upgrades.” The SQL I’ve posted above is the current ‘official’ workaround for the bug.

Thanks guys, that did the trick!!!