Ad-hoc assignee problem

I am experiencing a problem with a workflow, which uses the ad-hoc assignee functionality.

The workflow is setup to email the appropriate user in the author role once it has been moved to the public state. The emailing works fine; however once the content has been in public state once, moved to quick edit and then gone back to public state, users in the author role cannot see the item in the content explorer. I have done some testing and found that disabling the ad-hoc assignee resolves the issue. I have also tested it on other roles and the same thing happens. This does not happen however at any other state in the workflow as far as I can tell.

Is it supposed to happen or is there something I am missing?

Thanks and regards

Richard

When you move the content items back into the public state, are you setting the “ad-hoc assignment” list again? If not, then the system is working correctly (if ad-hoc is enabled, and there are no ad-hoc assignees, don’t show the item to that role).

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, we set the list everytime a piece of content goes to public state, whether it be new or content that has been amended.

There are 30 to 40 users in this role. We use the ad-hoc assignee functionality as we did not want all users in the role receiving emails about content going to public state, which they have no interest in.

That sounds strange. A few questions:

When the item first goes into public state, is it visible to the assigned users? or to ALL users in the author role? (it should only be visible to assigned users)

Is this a 5.x system?

Dave

I think I may know what the problem is.

We have 9 states in our workflow as follows.

1. Draft
  2. Rework
  3. Content owner review
  4. Website editor content review
  5. WSDU review
  6. Pending
  7. Public
  8. Quick edit
  9. Archive

As mentioned everything works fine the first time - problems only seem to happen once it has been in the quick edit state. Once a piece of content is in quick edit state it then goes through the workflow again from number 3 onwards. Is the problem the fact that the content is going back through workflow states, but actually needs additional states to cope with content that has been in quick edit? If so, why is this required?

Thanks and regards

Richard

Richard,

Yes, you need additional states for “approvals” after a quick edit.

This is true regardless of whether you use ad-hoc assignment or not.

The additional “approval” states must have the same content valid flag as Quick Edit does (“i”).

Dave