Add email capabilities to forms functionality

It is obviously better to use .csv files for forms and to have them in a database to pull up details/groups more quickly but some people don’t like better. I have numerous people just wanting the answers of the form emailed to them and “that is that.” Having this functionality easily accessible in the form widget would be a great addition in the future.

For me, I would like something to atleast indicate to the Editor or Contributor (or both) that they have a new form submission.

I also know this is complex but it would be nice to be able to select fields that can echo back to the user, for printing a copy of their form submission.

Thanks for sharing this, guys. I agree that this would be a very useful feature, and I could see it tying into a similar addition where an Admin can enable notifications for new comments and new member registrations.

If anyone has a need for a notification system when new forms are submitted, it is possible, when editing the Form’s meta-data in CM1, to have form content pushed to a specific URL instead of the local server. With this method, you could have the form’s data pushed to a custom-created PHP or ASP script on your server, one that could be configured to interpret certain fields in the form’s data, and then forward the form to a certain email address.

This of course would require some advanced server-side coding abilities, but I do want to point out that it is possible in the current system. However, I agree that an out-of-box solution would be far more desirable to most customers.

This would be a very helpful addition for us and I’d be interested in how we could formally request this be included in a future version. We came to Percussion from a hosted CMS solution from CivicPlus and they had this feature in their forms and our users really like the ability to have a form submitted and simply emailed to a designated person. The email would not have to be “pretty”, just that it included the form data would be very adequate. Thanks for any consideration on this subject.

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for your feedback. This feature is currently being evaluated by our product management team for inclusion in a future release.I have gone ahead and added your organization to a list of customers who have requested this capability.

What preston321 is saying is important,

“I have numerous people just wanting the answers of the form emailed to them and ‘that is that.’ Having this functionality easily accessible in the form widget would be a great addition in the future.”

Especially with cloud based email, the simple email will become a viable solution.

This is on the functional requirements list of our customer (DogsTrust) too.

Luckily we have the capability to cut code to process the form data through an external URL, but at the same time, would like to make use of the form handler gadget, so it may be that our external code sends the emails, then posts the data into the DTS anyway. Haven’t done the full analysis on this yet, but if anyone has done similar I’d like to hear how you fared…

O