Adding variable fields to notification subject lines?

I’m trying to figure out how to add variable fields (e.g. content id or title) to the subject line of the workflow notifications. I know that the macro $wfcomment will add the workflow comments but I’m looking to add content specific data. It seems like this should be easy to do, but I am VERY new to Rhythmyx (and CMS systems in general). :confused:

Any ideas?

You can include any field from the content item in a notification using the format “${fieldname}”. System fields, shared and local fields known to be in the item can be used. If a field is not found, the variable is removed and nothing is substitued in it’s place. For example you could add the following to the body section of your notification to have the item’s title and content id displayed in the notification:
The item with the title ${sys_title} and the content id
${sys_contentid} is now ready for review

Haven’t tested it putting it in the subject line though…

Thanks for your reply…I tried that earlier and it didn’t work for me.

The only field I could get this to work on is the wfcomment field. When I try to include any other field, the literal (e.g. $sys_contentid or $sys_title) shows in the email body.

igorh,
Does this work for you using different fields?
What RX version are you running?

We’re currently on 6.1.
I’ve only needed the sys_contentid and the sys_title and they worked so I didn’t experiment any further, but my guess I would be able to access all available fields for that content item…

[QUOTE=nmurphy;446]

The only field I could get this to work on is the wfcomment field. When I try to include any other field, the literal (e.g. $sys_contentid or $sys_title) shows in the email body.[/QUOTE]

I get the same issue (Rx 6.1). If I add ${sys_contentid} I get an error when I submit, remove the {} and it just printed the literal.

We’re currently using 5.7 (in the process of upgrading). I tried a few other fields and the only one that I can get to work is wfcomments.

Hi,
The problem is in the 5.7 version and couple of other items like - do you have Fast Forward installed or not? do you have any custom PSO toolkit installed on your 5.7 package.
I did want to do the same thing 6 month ago by going to modify couple of sys_app config files, by adding some custom variables - specific to Workflows and Notifications - don’t remember naming and path at this point.

You have mentioned that you are in the process of upgrading 5.7 to … - what 6.1 or 6.5 ??
I believe that you will be able to add sys_contentid, sys_title and other sys variables (any) to your email body after upgrade or if you find those config files to modify. I will try to bring back in memory what I did and will let you know.

Mike

In 5.7, your options are somewhat limited.

The PSONotifications package allows you to add certain SYSTEM fields as $ macros, but it’s a very limited set.

In 6.x, you can reference fields by name. I don’t believe that 6.1 vs 6.5 makes a terribly big difference in this regard. However, if you’re just starting the upgrade process, I strongly recommend you use 6.5

Dave

Dbenua wrote

[I]"In 5.7, your options are somewhat limited.

“The PSONotifications package allows you to add certain SYSTEM fields as $ macros, but it’s a very limited set.” [/I]

Does anyone have a list of what this limited set consists of?

We are running 5.7 with little hope of upgrade in the near future.

Gordon,

According to the Javadoc in the package, it makes the following fields available as macros:

[ul]
[li]sys_title
[/li][li]last modifier
[/li][li]last modify date
[/li][/ul]

The e-mail address of the creator of the Content Item is also available.

RLJII