Aging Transition (Pending to Public)

I am having trouble getting our publisher to process content items from the pending state to a public state. I am noticing that the sys_pubContentLists application does not restart properly when the server is restarted, I can manually start this application from the Server Administrator without any problems and it will stay running until a restart occurs. Does this application not starting on a restart have anything to do with the pending to public aging transition not working?

Results of restarting the sys_pubContentLists application:
2009-02-22 20:42:54,320 INFO [com.percussion.Server] Initializing application: sys_pubContentLists
2009-02-22 20:42:54,342 INFO [com.percussion.Server] Application initialization completed: sys_pubContentLists

Polling is occurring on the server:
2009-02-22 21:00:11,526 INFO [Aging Agent] Polling aging action at: Sun Feb 22 21:00:11 EST 2009…
2009-02-22 21:10:11,617 INFO [Aging Agent] Polling aging action at: Sun Feb 22 21:10:11 EST 2009…
2009-02-22 21:20:11,708 INFO [Aging Agent] Polling aging action at: Sun Feb 22 21:20:11 EST 2009…

Items I have checked so far:
[ul]
[li]Console.log for any errors, none found.
[/li][li]Console.log for polling indications, were found.
[/li][li]The RxPublisher user is in the workflow in the Public state.
[/li][li]The workflow administrator role includes the rxserver member.
[/li][/ul]

We are on [Server] Version 6.5.2 Build 200710P01 (3234) [RX-13785].

This may sound a bit patronising, but it is not meant to be…

Check the following points, fix whatever needs tweaking and test again.

[ol]
[li]Have you made sure the aging transition uses the Start Date field in the Workflow set-up?
[/li][li]Has every Content Type (CT) that uses this workflow got a REQUIRED Start Date field in the Content Editor (CE)? (this stops users leaving it blank)
[/li][li]Is the Start Date for your test items been set correctly i.e. for at least 10 minutes before the item is due to move to Public?
[/li][/ol]
Usually (in my experience anyway) the problem with Aging transitions relates to the set-up in both the Workflow and the CT’s using it, so I would check these first.

Good luck!

Cara

[QUOTE=pilotstevek;6441]I am noticing that the sys_pubContentLists application does not restart properly when the server is restarted, I can manually start this application from the Server Administrator without any problems and it will stay running until a restart occurs. Does this application not starting on a restart have anything to do with the pending to public aging transition not working?
[/QUOTE]

For the record, this application should not have any effect on Aging. Cara’s checklist is a good one.

You should check the application in the Workbench (under the XML Server view) and see that it is “enabled”. It’s possible that it has become disabled, which would cause the behavior you are seeing.

Dave

Has every Content Type (CT) that uses this workflow got a REQUIRED Start Date field in the Content Editor (CE)? (this stops users leaving it blank)

Thanks Cara for the advice, this was a new content type built from scratch and I must have forgotten to add the contentstartdate field. After adding it to the content item it has successfully moved to a public state, Thanks!

You should check the application in the Workbench (under the XML Server view) and see that it is “enabled”. It’s possible that it has become disabled, which would cause the behavior you are seeing.

Dave, I am not sure how to verify that the application is enabled from the XML Server view. The properties of the application (attachment: sys_pubContentLists_workbench.gif) look like all of the other applications so I am assuming that it is enabled. Would any of the debugging options be a good idea to try?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

when you right click on the application name in the XML Server View, you will see a drop down menu.

If the application is enabled, you will see an entry that says “Stop” (with a red and white “X” next to it). If the application is disabled, this entry says “Start” (with a green and white “arrow” next to it).

Dave