Can't view content item list for folder with many items in it

We are running into some errors with our Rhythmyx 5.7 installation, and I’m hoping someone has seen this already and can advise on it.

We have some folders that have hundreds of content items in them. Sometimes we click on one of those folders in the Content Explorer, and, although we get an hourglass icon for a while, we don’t see the content in that folder. Sometimes the folder ends up selected, with no content items visible in the right pane. Othertimes, the previous selected content folder and items remain visible.

I checked the Java console, and see this error coinciding with this behavior:

Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-2” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Has anyone seen this before? What is generating the error? (is it even related?)

-Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,
I was getting a similar message: “Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-1” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space”.
I’m not sure if this will solve your problem, but this is what support recommended in my case:

Please try to increase the java heap space on your client server by going
to :

• Control Panel > Java > Open Properties window > Java tab > Java Applet
    Runtime Settings [Runtime settings are used when an applet is executed in
    the browser]
    Please set the parameter “-Xmx” to 128m first and see how it works out for
    you. If you still run out-of java heap memory after that setting, then,
    increase to 256m.
    -Creig

–Edit–
Also, this was happening on my 6.5.2 system. Not sure if that makes a difference, but trying it couldn’t hurt. I seem to remember similar problems/resolutions from 5.7 days.

Creig,
I made the change to 128m, and that seems to have solved the problem on my machine. I will pass these directions along to our users that are seeing this issue, and we’ll see if it works for them as well.

Thanks so much for this pointer - it’s a lifesaver, as this has been the source of a lot of content editor dissatisfaction!

-Kathleen