CM1 Slow to do anything

When I launch CM1, it takes an excessive amount of time to load the dashboard components. The finder is slow, the gadgets are very slow, everything is slow. It can take over two minutes to load everything on the dashboard. If I restart the server, load times speed up a bit but then rapidly slow down again. I have seen discussion on limiting resources to different applications for Linux. Is this an option for Windows as well? When I look at the server performance monitor, I see that Java is running two processes that max out the Ram (5GB), and the CPU stays maxed out. Any fixes/suggestions I can try? Thx.

Hi Jerome,

How much memory does your system have in total? From my understanding, you are running SQL server on the same machine as CM1, is that correct? If so, when your performance appears to deteriorate, how much system memory and processing power is SQL Server taking up?

Lastly, in your PercussionServer.lax file, which is located in the CM1 root directory, please look for a block of text that looks like this:

# -----------------------------   
# Java arguments   

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dprogram.name=RhythmyxServer.exe -Xms256m -Xmx1228m -Djava.endorsed.dirs="AppServer/lib/endorsed" -Djava.library.path=./bin -server -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF8 ```   

Can you share with me what both the -Xms and -Xmx properties are currently set to in your instance? Thanks!

Hello again Nathaniel :slight_smile:
The server has 5GB total memmory and yes, it’s a one server setup. SQL uses about 310MB of physical and 420 MB of virtual memory. It is using about 1% of the CPU. The real hog of resources looks to be Java (of course) it is running two processes that absorb 85-95% of the CPU and 2GB of RAM in both physical and virtual areas.

Here is the text from the .lax file.

LAX.NL.JAVA.OPTION.ADDITIONAL

-----------------------------

Java arguments

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dprogram.name=RhythmyxServer.exe -Xms256m -Xmx1228m -Djava.endorsed.dirs=“AppServer/lib/endorsed” -Djava.library.path=./bin -server -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF8

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Jerome,

Great, we should be able to bump up your memory allocation here. Before we do that, I would like to take a look at your CM1 log file to see if there might be any issues with your system that would cause this type of consistent system slow-downs. I’m going to create a support ticket for us so we can take a closer look at this; please check your inbox momentarily for that.

Thanks, I see it. Do I need to send you a specific file?

You should have gotten a message from me accompanying the ticket creation notification (all as part of the same email). Let me know if that isn’t showing up for you and I’ll resend.

the message history is blank.

Odd. I just resent the message; let me know if you get it this time.

To tie off this thread, the issue here was being caused by an invalid / corrupt Asset being added to Percussion’s search index queue, which was causing errors in the log and making the search index table overflow with redundant content. We’ve included a fix in Percussion version 3.1 that ensures that the system to only throws the error once and then moves on, preventing bad content from affecting the performance of the CMS in such a manner.