Custom Workflow Action Class location

Greetings,

We have developed an workflow action extension (Java Class) for Rx 5.7.1 environment, but do not know where to deploy the class file. We tried to deploy in the following directory, but none of them make the class available. And yes we have also restarted the server after every deployment.

/Appserver/server/lib
/Appserver/webapps/Rhythmyx/WEB-INF/classes
/Appserver/webapps/Rhythmyx/WEB-INF/lib

/Appserver/RxServices/Rhythmyx/WEB-INF/classes
/Appserver/RxServices/Rhythmyx/WEB-INF/lib

Am I missing something here?

-Thanks,
Lovel

Lovel,

In 5.x, things are very different than they are in 6.5.

Assuming you have added your classes to a JAR, there are 2 basic approaches to adding it to the server:

1. Use the Server Administrator Application (or Applet), go to the Extensions tab and click on the New button.

This will bring up a registration window, and there will also be a place for you to specify your JAR file.

Extensions loaded this way don’t generally require a server restart, although a Workflow action always does.

1. Add your JAR to the /Rhythmyx/lib directory and then modify the RhythmyxServer.cp2 file to contain the name of your new JAR.

I usually used Method 2, because it was possible for unwitting users to enter the Server Administrator and click on the extension. Unless they provided the JAR name when updating the extension, the JAR would disappear from the class path. Using the .cp2 file insures that this won’t happen accidentally.

Obviously, we’ve made all of this obsolete in 6.x.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

That resolved the issue with finding the class files.

Is there any sample program on how to update a content item using Java APIs in Rx 5.7.1 version? I am finding difficulties to instantiate the content using the contentid.

The objective of the workflow action class is to modify the pubdate to current date when the item is transitioned to publish state.

-Thanks,
Lovel