Distributed CMS Development

We have had requests from different groups that want to develop their own templates. Everything else would remain the same (workflow, content types, other configuration settings such as action menus, visibility rules, xml applications, etc.). Can this be done in a way that is segmented so that we can ensure that other developers cannot change the existing templates?

The Percussion workbench seems to have some sort of design access settings. Could those be used to help segment this development work. One of our issues has been insufficient developer resources. If we can leverage other interested groups that gives us greater flexibility and would help relieve our developer bottleneck.

In essence - yes. You are looking in the right direction, as every object in workbench has ACL control and you can slice and dice your templates and snippets etc. to the level where you allow design for specific roles, groups and/or users. You can separate by design visibility rules as well and in addition to control by site, by community etc. It does make things more complex to maintain and becomes a super-duper secure, but still a nightmare for the Admins who would need to rule it all and set and reset the ACL for the teams all day long as development progress.
I got a diagram somewhere that I used to show my client separation by 10 or 12 different areas that different development teams would touch without wrecking havoc in others code - I’ll attach here if I find it.

Cheers,
Mike