Executing rxfix

How do we execute the rxfix to clean Orphan data?

manvinder

In 6.7 (and 6.6) you should have that option in the Admin Tab. This is found on page 43 in the “Getting Started with Rhythmyx” Documentation (v 6.6).

Access the Admin tab. You’ll find the RxFix tool there.

Getting_Started_with_Rhythmyx_Version_6_7.pdf (page 40)

Thanks…I found the tool.
However, I dont understand why does the documentation says:

“Run RxFix
This tool should only be used under the direction and guidance of a Percussion Software Technical Support Representative.”

manvinder

Manvinder,

The tool directly modifies the Repository database. If you run incorrect fixes, you can destablize your database, or aggravate existing instability.

Running RxFix without the direction and guidance of Percussion Tech Support would be considered a user modification of the database, which, as has been pointed out elsewhere, is not supported by Percussion Tech Support.

RLJII

Out of interest, what is an ‘incorrect fix.’ Surely a fix ‘fixes’ things, not breaks things?

So can RxFix break the state of your repository?

RxFix is collection of fix tools. An “incorrect fix” would be running the wrong specific fix, which could aggravate a problem rather than correcting it. At that point, identifying the original problem becomes much more difficult for Tech Support.

And, to repeat, the tool directly modifies the database; direct modification of the database is unsupported unless recommended and guided by a Percussion Technical Support Representative.

RLJII

We did some manual deletes of data from a content type table in DB. Now the table is empty, but we do still see those items appearing in the Content Explorer. HOweve, I cannot open or use them.

I was thinking that rxfix execution would remove those orphan content items. I executed rxfix.

However, it appears that rxfix doesnot clears up these orphan content items. Is this correct?

manvinder

Manvinder,

At this point, you should restore the last stable backup of the database before you deleted the data. Then use the Purge option in Content Explorer to purge the Content Items.

RLJII

Did you delete from the CONTENTSTATUS as well? If there’s no record in there I’d be surprised if one appeared in the Content Explorer.

No…I didnot delete it from there…so do you recommend to do a delete from there as well?

In that case, if I do a delete from the content type table, as well from contentstatus table, it should clear up everything…

[QUOTE=manvinder12;12571]No…I didnot delete it from there…so do you recommend to do a delete from there as well?

In that case, if I do a delete from the content type table, as well from contentstatus table, it should clear up everything…[/QUOTE]

In my experience yes, if you want to manually remove a piece of content then you need to delete the row(s) from contentstatus, contentstatus history, the actual content type table(s), shared table(s) and publishing log tables. There could be more tables - such as adhoc assignment tables but these are the main ones I can think of.

Remember of course that you shouldn’t really be touching the database without guidance and clear instructions from Percussion technical support. (however, if you’ve an environment that you’re happy to break, and you have a good backup of, then you may want to have a play with the tables yourself).