Fields required for status transition to Published - only through Item Validation?

I would like to set certain content fields to be required when the editor uses workflow to move the item to Published status. This seems like a fairly simple requirement to me, but my understanding from reading and communicating with Tech Support is that I need to implement my own Item Validation extension in order to do this. I’m still wondering:

• Is there really no simpler way to implement this validation? It doesn’t seem like something sophisticated enough to require writing custom Java code.
  • If I need to implement an Item Validation, are there any examples to build from? I’ve scoured the forum, the docs, and the code that comes with Rhythmyx, and have found nothing to really guide me. I understand that I need to implement the interface IPSItemValidator, but having some example of an item validator would be very helpful.
  • Are there step-by-step instructions for building and integrating an extension? I know there is help in the workbench for registering an extension, but I have yet to find detailed information about exactly how the extension needs to be packaged and installed. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any and all help with this-
Kathleen

Kathleen,

For the case you want to implement (validation during a Workflow Transition), an Item Validation is the only way to go because Item Validations run during Workflow Transitions. Field Validations run when the Content Item is uploaded to the Repository. See the discussion of the two types of extensions in the Rhythmyx Technical Reference Manual.

Rhythmyx extensions are Java classes. The major consideration beyond registering them is ensuring that they are thread safe.

RLJII