Help US improve YOUR experience on these Forums!

Greetings everyone,

With the upcoming release of the new, improved Percussion.com we will also be improving Percussion’s Forum. With this being said:

[ol]
[li]What features or functionality do you believe our forums would benefit from?[/li][li]What have you seen on other forums that you like? [/li][li]Have you come across anything here that you want to change (add a new forum, add a new file extension to upload, etc.)? If so – let us know.[/li][/ol]

Any feedback you provide will help us to improve your overall experience. Let us know how we can help you!

Cheers and thank you for your time,

Craig

The forum software itself has been fine, although it would be nice to be able to edit a poll once you have added one.

It would be nice to have a spell checker and the ability to see who has viewed a thread.

I would rather focus on the additional areas you could add on to the fourms for discussion and communication.

Two areas that would be very useful:

• Known bugs and fixes
  • Events

Would it work if the Technical Discussions separated into two lists: one for v5.7 and earlier (XSLT/XML) and one for version 6+ (Velocity, JCR, JEXL)?

I think the search function could work a little nicer. I often do a search for a issue i’m having and it doesn’t always give me results. I find I have to do a general search and then go through a large list of items.

Unfortunately, you can’t use Google via their site: command, which is the usual workaround for poor search facilities on forums.

Yep, think this would be a good idea as there have been so many changes between the versions.

Maybe have section for beginners (those who are just starting out in rhythmyx) and maybe one for advance users (those who have been using it for a while).

I think this way people if someone is responding to a question in the beginners forum then they might know to give a little more detail (not just say do this but say how to do this or where to look to do this) then say if it was an more advanced question.

Shane

[QUOTE=shaner;6253]Maybe have section for beginners (those who are just starting out in rhythmyx) and maybe one for advance users (those who have been using it for a while).

I think this way people if someone is responding to a question in the beginners forum then they might know to give a little more detail (not just say do this but say how to do this or where to look to do this) then say if it was an more advanced question.

Shane[/QUOTE]

This may work, although advanced users are unlikely to ever go into the beginners section. Perhaps a better suggestion would be to to have a field to fill in on your profile as to level of knowledge?

Would it work if the Technical Discussions separated into two lists: one for v5.7 and earlier (XSLT/XML) and one for version 6+ (Velocity, JCR, JEXL)?

This would be a great help and would make searching for relevant topics easier

Cara

a better suggestion would be to to have a field to fill in on your profile as to level of knowledge?

Great idea - could have the choices of:
[ul]
[li]Advanced developer
[/li][li]Medium-level developer
[/li][li]Novice developer
[/li][/ul]

or use length of experience, for example
[ul]
[li]Long-term user: 5+ years
[/li][li]Experienced user: 2-5 years
[/li][li]Beginner: 1-2 years
[/li][li]Novice: less than 1 year
[/li][/ul]

IMHO, knowing the experience level of the person asking the question helps pitch the level of the response. Also, by keeping all topics together (i.e. NOT splitting into experienced or beginners sections) means that experienced developers can assist the novices as they will still see their posts.

Cara

[QUOTE=cara-m;6445]or use length of experience, for example
[ul]
[li]Long-term user: 5+ years
[/li][li]Experienced user: 2-5 years
[/li][li]Beginner: 1-2 years
[/li][li]Novice: less than 1 year
[/li][/ul][/QUOTE]

…are those calendar years, or just subjectively how long you feel like you’ve been trying to get stuff to work? Perhaps man-months would be a better.

[QUOTE=cara-m;6445][ul]
[li]Advanced developer
[/li][li]Medium-level developer
[/li][li]Novice developer
[/li][/ul][/QUOTE]
If this were implemented, there’d have to be some way of differentiating between Java developers who dabble in Rhythmyx, and Rhythmyx developers who dabble in Java. And Percussion’s own developers of course.

I agree Andrew, these were just suggestions though!

As for the ‘man-month’ idea - too hard to calculate and doesn’t include female developers (especially bolshie feminist ones! LOL) who work hours, days and months too. Stupid, lazy term dreamt up by project managers in my view :rolleyes: I hate it!

Cara

Sorry if I was being sexist. I wasn’t my intention. I was alluding to the title of the book whose Wikipedia page I linked to (a classic, btw, well worth reading despite its age, especially the bits on the second-system effect.)