High-Consuming Java Process on CM1 Server

Hello,

On our CM1 Development Server, once logged to the dashboard, we could not view any contents. We have recently completed our upgrade to CM3.2.4. On bouncing the Percussion service, we could access the dashboard and contents again.

The console log file reported an error with java heap space:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

We are running on 4GB RAM on our development server, and the java process for CM1 was over 2.8GB and the CPU Usage was near to 90% with only Percussion running at the bounce time.

Do you have a best practice guide we can follow to avoid the java process swamping this server?

Thanks,
Ved Rampadaruth

Hi Ved,

As we introduce new functionality into the product, we’ve been seeing cases such as these more frequently where the system is using up all of the default memory allocated to the JVM. We will be increasing the default memory cap in version 3.3 for this reason.

In the meantime, manually increasing this cap is pretty straightforward. To do so, locate your PercussionServer.lax file within your root Percussion installation directory, and look for this line:

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dprogram.name=RhythmyxServer.exe -Xms256m -Xmx1228m

Change that to read:

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dprogram.name=RhythmyxServer.exe -Xms256m -Xmx2048m

Because you have no other applications running on your Percussion server and 4 GBs of ram, you should be safe bumping this up further to -Xmx3072m if you would prefer.

You will have to shut down and then start back up the Percussion service for these changes to take effect.

Thanks for the great reply Nathaniel. We actually have these values for the JVM (Both Production and Development but Production runs on 8GB RAM v/s the 4GB for Development).

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dprogram.name=RhythmyxServer.exe -Xms1024m -Xmx2456m

Since we are already running a value which is near to 3GB, I will accept Molly’s call on whether we bump this up to 3GB and/or we schedule a weekly/monthly/on-demand bounce of the Percussion service.

No problem, Ved. In that case, I think it may be a good idea to bump both Prod and Dev up to 3 GB, for some added stability. Of course, I’ll let your team make the final decision there.