How to configure the search to only return items from local community

Hello

Is it possible to configure/lock-down the search to only return items from the users local community.

I tried going into the workbench Community Visibility tab and removing all searchs except the ‘Default Search’ under the ‘Visible Searches’ folder.

But when looking in the Content explorer the other sample searches still show up along with the ‘New Search’ option which would allow the end user to construct a search to include content from other communities.

Each search can be limited to its own default community in UI Elements Design, but I too would like to make the sample searches disappear. I remember hearing that it wasn’t possible.

We’ve been able limit the search options to New Search option which defaults automatically to a predefined community and a customized search which also defaults to a predefined community.

Here are the steps we followed under the UI > Content Explorer > Searches > Standard section of Workbench:

1. Create customized search including community selection preset to your community and save
  2. Modify security so visible only to your community and default role
  3. Right click Searches (under content explorer) and select Assign New Searches by Community
  4. Assign the custom search as the New CX Search and New AA Search for your community
  5. After completing step 4 return to the Searches > Standard section of UI and remove Read permissions for Any Community from the RC_Search (Default AA Search) and Default_Search (Default CX Search)

If you view the Assign New Searches by Community screen at this point there will be no options for the Default Searches at the top of the screen. By changing the permissions in step 5 these searches are removed as default options but it also removes the default searches from the Content Editor screen.

However, if you need to add another customized search you have to add Read permissions to both the AA and CX search before executing step 5.

That’s great, Tom. Skipping to step 5 didn’t make the default searches go away, so I’ll have to try it your way. I’m getting a NullPointerException.

When I do step 3 it says operation not avaialble.

mdmcginn,

Make sure that all existing searches have at least 2 communities with Read permissions. This is a recently discovered bug. That should clear up the error you get when saving the changes in the Configuring New Search window

woodypike,

That sounds like server issue.