Import external calendar

We have a portal, that needs logging into, with calendar functionality that can be shared to an external site. I have been tasked with trying to import the portal calendars into CM1. In the calendar widget documentation, or any other widget, I do not find a way of doing this.
Is there a way of doing this?

Lloyd,

Great to hear from you, and thank you for reaching out to the community. You asked a great question I would assume more of our users would be interested in as well.

With regards to “Importing the portal calendars” into CM1… It really depends on what information you are importing, and what information you would liked to be displayed?

Were you looking to import your events and manage them within CM1, or just have them displayed within our product, and continue to manage them with your existing portal?

Depending on your answer I have a few suggestions that can help with your implementation, let me know what I can do to help :slight_smile:

Chris

Hi Chris,

My first choice would be managing with the portal.

Thanks,
Lloyd.

Lloyd,

I brought this up internally to some of our senior developers/implementation team. As of right now there is not a specific api to call to add/create events in our calendar widget. The reason being is that traditionally when an event is created, it needs a corresponding page.

What I was thinking was creating a custom widget to hold the event data, and crafting a separate method to call the custom widget, and populate a separate calendar. But it that would probably defeat the purpose of doing this in the first place. A colleague is working on something similar to this, as soon I hear more for him, I will see if he can give some insight into his work.

The other idea I had, would be to use Google Calendar. Percussion’s native calendaring mechanism uses FullCalendar (http://arshaw.com/fullcalendar/) for displaying information. Full calendar has an add-on/plug-in for Google Calendar. That would be a quick way to use Google’s robust api’s to have the events, and also give you an easy way of authenticating users, and keeping certain events private/public. If that implementation is too cumbersome, I believe, Google calendar also has an Iframe, you can grab and put on your webpage. https://support.google.com/calendar/a…

Let me know if this helps.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I wanted to update you on this. Gathering info is like pulling teeth sometimes. I’m putting this on hold for now until I get info. I’m trying to push Google calendars, but only time will tell.

Thanks,
Lloyd.

Lloyd,

No problem, I think we have all run into this situation at one time or another. Let me know what you find out.

Chris