Modify the folder permissions

I really like the finder that is on every page but I was wondering if there would be a possibly to make it a little less cumbersome to editors and contributors. It would be nice that if the Finder only showed what people have permissions to see. It would also be nice for the permissions to be moved to the users area for setting.

This would also be great if these same people only saw the templates that they were allowed to use.

Matt, What would your expectation be about system behavior if I had access to a folder but didn’t have access to the parent folder? Do you expect that the system would “flatten” to only show me my folders (essentially removing the concept of the folder tree)? Or would you expect I would click through the folder structure but not see anything in those folders until I accessed the folder I have access to? Or something else I’m not considering?

Dan,
I would look for it to only show what the user’s have direct rights to and nothing else. So if a user has access to a particular folder that is nested 4 folders deep, they would only see the one they have access to. So I guess “flattened” would be accurate.

I actually think either is approach is acceptable…

The “flattened” approach would probably be less confusing for non-technical users.

if the “flattened” approach is not doable, then perhaps you would then show parent folders (just in terms of navigating the Finder down to the folder they do have access to) regardless of access, but as you mention Dan, maybe just not let any pages or similar show up for them to see if they do not have read or write access to them.

Has this gained enough traction for a future update? Also is there ever going to be a folder permission option for NOT allowing a user to read, write, nor edit? Right now the most limiting option still allows a user to read the folder. there’s many assets, sections, etc that I don’t want any contributor to even see in the Finder, let alone be able to add it to their pages…

These days I thought best practices dictate a “least privilege” approach to security, meaning you start with more or less no access to anything and then increase permissions as appropriate on a user or role basis. CM1 seems to do the opposite…

I think a good alternative to this would be to show parent folders of the folder that the user has permission to edit, but show them in a grayed-out color—only the folders the users has access to would show up the regular blue color, and otherwise they’d show as gray. This would be a good way to keep the folder structure visible.

These days I thought best practices dictate a “least privilege” approach to security, meaning you start with more or less no access to anything and then increase permissions as appropriate on a user or role basis. CM1 seems to do the opposite…

This is a really excellent point. This feature would solve soooooo many problems my users are having. Any movement on this?

Any updates on this feature? We would love to see it implemented.