Next Step(s)?

I’m really new to Percussion. I would like to clone one of our dev sites to my local machine so that I can play around with it. What do I need to do to accomplish that? Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

[ol]
[li]Shutdown Percussion on source machine[/li][li]Copy Percussion datasource (SQL Server or Oracle) to your local datasource[/li][li]Copy Percussion from the source file system to your local machine[/li][li]Startup Percussion on source machine[/li][li]Update the following files to reference your local database:[/li][ul]
[li]/path/to/Rhythmyx/AppServer/server/rx/deploy/rx-ds.xml[/li][li]/path/to/Rhythmyx/AppServer/server/rx/deploy/rxapp.ear/rxapp.war/WEB-INF/config/spring/install-beans.xml[/li][/ul]

li Update the following files to configure how you will authenticate within Percussion (LDAP, Active Directory, Backend Table [default]):[/li][ul]
[li]/path/to/Rhythmyx/AppServer/server/rx/conf/login-config.xml[/li][/ul]

li Update the server configuration file at /path/to/Rhythmyx/AppServer/server/rx/deploy/jboss-web.deployer/server.xml[/li][li]Startup Percussion on local machine[/li][li]Monitor /path/to/Rhythmyx/AppServer/server/rx/log/server.log[/li][/ol]

Percussion relies on /path/to/Rhythmyx/AppServer/server/rx/deploy/rx-ds.xml to establish the connections to the database; therefore, if you have a copy of your Percussion instance and a copy of your Percussion database, you can proceed with setting up a local copy.

PLEASE NOTE: You may want to consult with Technical Support on licensing though.

Let me know if I missed any steps.

I might be a little too cavalier about it, but rather than hand editing all those files, I simply start the Percussion service on the new server, and use the RhythmyxServerAdministrator tool to change the database configuration (to point to the newly replicated database).

I might also add that it would be wise to consider your scheduled tasks and publish configurations: If you have tasks to purge logs, they are probably built to point at the local system, so allowing them to continue is OK in that case, but any scheduled publishing tasks might need to be disabled, and of course, depending on your publishing configuration, you might need to change your publish locations too… nothing like publishing to the live site using your DEV server… not that I would have any experience in that… <shrug>

-Jason

Jason,

I might be a little too cavalier about it, but rather than hand editing all those files, I simply start the Percussion service on the new server, and use the RhythmyxServerAdministrator tool to change the database configuration (to point to the newly replicated database).
Definitely an option – just remember that your local Percussion service will need to be able to access the currently configured database in order to start up. I have been down that road where I couldn’t connect to the currently configured database; therefore, I learned which files to edit by hand.

+1 on the point regarding publishing configuration and scheduled tasks. Definitely don’t want to publish developer content to the public/live website.