PDF (or File) Auto-List Widget

Love the image auto list. Love the page auto list. But how about a file (specifically a PDF) auto-list widget? Would save a LOT of page creation for us. Thanks!

Brian from Oasis Foods wants to upload around 85 recipes and associate them with around 25 different ingredient pages. I would LOVE to automate this as much as possible.

Question #1: Is there a PDF or File Auto-List widget yet?

Since he wants the list to show up in the sidebar or as a menu, I have a related question about the existing Image Auto-List widget:

Question #2: Is there an option for Link Name only in the Image Auto-List widget (i.e., no image or thumbnail)?

I really want to avoid having to make him create 85 new pages. I’d actually rather avoid making him create even 25! This leads to the bigger question:

Question #3: How can I get away with simply uploading keyword-rich PDF files (I’ll have him key the file names to the ingredient items he wants so we could keyword match the Auto-List), and POSSIBLY JPEGs is we want some thumbnails, and create a nav menu item or widget list that would allow the visitor to navigate through all the recipes in a menu-driven fashion (and possibly a search system later) and end up with a PDF of the recipe opening up.

Question #4: An even BIGGER question: If we DID want to create a SINGLE template/page, say, that presented the JPG that would be hyperlinked to the same-named corresponding PDF file, that would present the appropriate information chosen through the user’s menu choices. (This would allow a prettier presentation of the same content – rather than clicking on a menu item and getting a PDF, they get a page with the JPG that links to the menu item and that page isn’t one of 25+, but a single one that takes some kind of parameter passed to it.

I’d settle for a positive answer (and docs) for 1 & 2 of course… :slight_smile:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
PDF Auto-List?.

This is under consideration for an upcoming release.

Love to hear it. Thanks!

This would be a great help for me since we have so many .pdf files - from newsletters to course listings to forms.

And it seems these are updated in waves - generally all at once - during specific times of the year. It takes me forever to link them and for the newsletters and some document types > archive them.

Implemented in 2.10

Awesome news!

So I"m still trying to understand how Auto Lists work… what specific purpose I can use one for - can someone give me some examples?

Debbie,
This thread refers to a File Auto-List which information is available on here:
http://help.percussion.com/widgets/wi…

Additionally, there are Page Auto-Lists which can be used in a variety of ways. Perhaps the most common use for a Page Auto-List is a News Feed. We also use them on our Help site for the Release lists, Latest Articles/Guides lists, etc…
There is information on how to configure them and utilize them here:
http://help.percussion.com/how-to/cm1…
http://help.percussion.com/widgets/wi…

We have also been able to leverage the Page Auto-List to create an easier to manage page banner.

@Debbie, Auto Lists look at a folder and list out all the items in that folder on a page. Add an item to the folder and it automatically updates the page. Applications would include:

• Photo album
  • Lists of resources
  • Recipes

I’m sure the Percussion guys have a lot more examples…

I find this not true. Adding a published document to a folder being pulled by file auto list does not update the page. I have to open the page for edit and publish to display new document.