Publishable States

I am having some problems with the “Ignore” publishable state in a workflow.

I have an item sitting at a workflow state that has a publishable state set to “Unpublish.” When I move that item to a workflow state that has a publishable state of “Ignore,” the next publishing run makes the item public.

This runs contrary to the way I am understanding the documentation. According to p112 of the Technical Reference Manual about the “Ignore” state:

“If it has not yet been published, it will remain unpublished. Links to the item also remain unpublished.”

Am I misinterpreting that bit, or is the ignore state not behaving properly?

Rx6.5.2 [13552]

Sean,

In this case, I think the documentation is wrong (well, more generously, it’s a little out of date).

In all recent (since 5.0) versions of Rhythmyx, content items in an “I” state publish the “last public” revision, and content items in a “Y” state publish the “current” revision.

You should arrange your workflow so that you never enter an “I” state except from a “Y” state or another “I” state.

Note that this means that you cannot send items that have been public back through the normal Draft and Approve states: you’ll need “Re-Draft” and “Re-Approve” states after Quick Edit that behave like Draft and Approve, except that the publish flag is set to “I” instead of “N”.

Dave

That’s a little disappointing, since it basically means duplications of workflow states (which means more maintenance), but such is life.

Yes, it’s a little extra work, but it’s relatively simple work, and you only have to do it once (per workflow). This is not something that you’ll change often.

This is an old problem, and I’ve seen people fall into the trap many times, which is why I decided to warn you about it.

Dave