Remove template association

Hi there

I have a content type called ResearchProject, which has a page template called uosPgResearchProject. I now have a requirement to create an additional page template for use with this content type depending on the value of one of the fields.

This is something I’ve done several times before, so I’ve gone through the basic process:

1. Create the new page template
  2. Create a dispatch template for the content type
  3. Set the two page templates to Publish Never
  4. Associate the dispatch template with the content type
  5. Delete the association of the existing page template with the content type

However, when I try step 5, I get the following error:

Failed to delete the specified associations from the design object of type ‘Content Type’ with id ‘539’ to design objects of type ‘Template’. The associations specifying the objects of type ‘Template’ with the ids ‘888’ are referenced by objects of the following types: Content Item/Folder

I thought this might be because some items of that type were live, but even when I expired them all I still got the same message.

I think I’m missing something really obvious, but I’m not sure what it is. Any help gratefully received!

Cheers
Matt

I don’t understand why you need to delete the association with the content type. In fact, I would expect that you would need to have all 3 templates (the dispatch template and the 2 page templates) associated with the content type.

As you pointed out, the page templates should be “publish never”.

Thanks for the speedy reply. If I don’t need to delete the association, then all the better! I’ll leave it in situ.

Cheers
Matt