Thread order

How do we get the forum to display posts in chronological order?

We should leave it so that new threads appear at the top, but reading posts in the thread is MUCH easier if you read the thread from the top down instead of the bottom up.

This is especially true when threads are more than 1 page long.

I looked for a setting in the AdminCP, but I don’t see anything obvious to set.

Actually, it’s in the “User Options” for each user.

I set my thread display order to “Linear - Oldest First” and things now work correctly (for me). Each user will have to set it for themselves unless there’s a way to control this as a default.

I think what your looking for is controled by the forum it self. Forum Manager > Edit forum - default sort order

that didn’t do it.

I haven’t found the post order yet.

[QUOTE=dbenua;41]How do we get the forum to display posts in chronological order?

We should leave it so that new threads appear at the top, but reading posts in the thread is MUCH easier if you read the thread from the top down instead of the bottom up.

This is especially true when threads are more than 1 page long.[/QUOTE]

I agree most recent posts go to bottom within the thread vBulletin gives you links from the main thread list that let you skip into the middle of the thread to just the post that you have not yet read (often called the “first unread” link), or to the last (“most recent” link) post as well, so for people checking back, they will not ever have to scroll down.

After checking, I can see the link to the last (most recent) post in the main menu, but not the first unread link (I can only see that once inside the thread). You should turn both links on from the main menu (where each thread is listed). Also, there is a way to mark threads as unread (usually they appear bold) on that page. Perhaps the unread link and the unread thread markers are related and there is a cookie issue with my login? Unread is a concept in vBulletin that is specific to each user login (though they some times get forgotten depending on if you log in from multiple tabs at the same time, better than nothing though).

[QUOTE=vimrich;98]
After checking, I can see the link to the last (most recent) post in the main menu, but not the first unread link (I can only see that once inside the thread). You should turn both links on from the main menu (where each thread is listed). Also, there is a way to mark threads as unread (usually they appear bold) on that page. Perhaps the unread link and the unread thread markers are related and there is a cookie issue with my login? Unread is a concept in vBulletin that is specific to each user login (though they some times get forgotten depending on if you log in from multiple tabs at the same time, better than nothing though).[/QUOTE]

Check that, the First Unread link IS WORKING! It was some cookie thing on my end. Nice.