Tooltips for content types

Our users would find it incredibly easier if the workbench allowed the ability to add a tooltip for each input field. Tooltips could be indicated in the content explorer as a small icon after the input field title and would display the tooltip on a mouse over.

We do this but have had to hack sys_Templates.xsl to do so. That means we have to restore our modifications after every time we install the latest patch. It also doesn’t play nicely with the sys_File field’s clear checkbox and preview link. Obviously, this is the sort of thing that should be built in to the product.

There is already a vote on this…

See:
http://forum.percussion.com/showthread.php?t=619

We used to be able to customise the Content Explorer helptext.html file in 5.7 to provide relevant text for different CE fields (on clicking a Help icon, the text appears in a small pop-up window) - when trying to repeat the process in 6.5.2, it failed.

This was very useful functionality and personally I would like to see this restored for version 6.6… is this on the agenda for future releases?

Cara

Content editing and workflow are big areas we are looking at - that is, the Content Editor (CE) forms UI, metadata editing, etc.

Those are also the biggest request areas currently.

Cara,

We used to be able to customise the Content Explorer helptext.html file in 5.7 to provide relevant text for different CE fields (on clicking a Help icon, the text appears in a small pop-up window) - when trying to repeat the process in 6.5.2, it failed.

That file is not included in an out-of-the-box 5.71 installation. My guess is that it was a customization of your system. In every case I know of where a similar customization has been implemented, it involves modifications to system files. System files are overwritten during upgrade, which would explain the loss of functionality. You can restore the functionality by reimplementing the customization.

RLJII

Hi there

You never saw our 5.7 implementation :rolleyes:

Nothing from it has been re-used and in the end we rebuilt the entire CMS in 6.5.2 with Odin Solutions.

Are there any documents or other information about how to create this kind of customisation in 6.5.2? Our users want it back and having help text for each field cuts down the number of user queries and support calls.

Cara

Cara,

I see few customer implementations, but I hear lots of stories from tech support and TSO. :slight_smile:

Percussion Technical Services usually implements field-level help customization, and what documentation exists is internal content that they created and use. At this point, they’re the best option for implementing it in your 6.5.2 environment.

RLJII

Thanks for the info.

Cara