Transitioning everything to public

As part of our content migration to Rhythmyx every content item I’ve created is in the Draft state (we’re doing a lot of updating of content items during the migration so I thought it’d be best just to leave everything in the Draft state). After I’m done what’s the best way to transition everything to public? I’d basically just like to tell Rhythmyx, “take every content item you have and transition it to ‘Direct to Public’”. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Ed,

I think the answer depends on how many items you have.

For a few hundred items, it’s probably quickest just to use the Content Explorer. Multi-select on the items, right click and select the workflow transition.

Of course, you’ll probably want to limit this to batches of 30 to 50 items (otherwise it will take a long time to do each batch).

If there are many thousands of items, you’d be better off to write a simple Web Services program that does a Search for items in Draft state and transitions them (one at a time). This might also take a while, but at least you are not manually executing repetitive operations.

Dave

Sounds good, thanks.

Hi
It is worth noting that if you have the workflow transition set up with required comments or with email notifications, a multiple selection will fail and you’ll get an error, in which case you can either turn off the comments and/or notifications for the ‘Direct to Public’ transition within the workflow or use the Web Services option.

Thanks for the tip!