using filesystem publishing to publish to a shared folder

Hi

I’m trying to get the filesystem publishing to publish to a share on another server but get the message “access denied”, it works ok if I just publish to the local drive. Is there anywhere where I can input the user credentials in order to give publisher access to the shared folder?

We’re using Rhythmyx 5.71.

Cheers
James

I don’t believe that there is a way to enter credentials as part of publishing.

As far as the publisher is concerned, it’s just opening a file, it doesn’t do anything special to that file.

Is this a Windows server? There are some restrictions on “Services” accessing network resources in Windows, and there’s not a whole lot we can do about it.

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes it’s a windows system. The service is currently running under the local system account. If this account had rights to the publishing folder then should it work? Or would I need to create another user for Rhythmyx to run under and give this rights to the publishing folder?

Cheers
James

James,

Windows differentiates between “Network” and “Local” resources. The rule is that any service that runs as the “System Account” and has the “Allow service to interact with desktop” box checked cannot access network resources. You can access Network resources if the box isn’t checked, but then you cannot see the console window.

I’m not sure if creating a user and running the service that way is good enough or not. This didn’t use to work (in older versions) but they may have fixed it since I last tried it.

I do know that if you start Rhythmyx from the “command line” (that is, as a desktop program, not a Service) it will work correctly. This works fine for testing, but creates management issues in production.

Short of installing Linux, I don’t think there’s a real good solution :slight_smile:

Dave