Workflow Initiation

I have a requirement as follows: I have 2 Content Types. The first Content Item is a chid content Item., and is of Content Type 1 .

The Second Content Type is more of a component and contains a list of various first content Items. When any of the Content Item of Content Type 1is updated, a workflow is initiated.

My requirement is to invoke the workflow for all Content Items of Type2 which have Content Items of Type 1.

I was trying to write an extension to find a list of all Content Items of Type2 which have the Content Item of Type 1, and then trigger the workflow on each of them (for only the ones which are in Public State). Can someone please recommend any APIs for this?

thanks
Manvinder

There is insufficient information to recommend an approach or what API to use.
How do instances of ctype2 ‘list’ instances of ctype1? Is there a relationship? Or some other technique?
Can you describe your use case further? (I’m curious what you are trying to accomplish.)

We add the Content Items of Type1 to the Slot of Content Item Type 2. The same content Items of Type 1 can be added to multiple Content Items of Type2.

Whenever, the Content Item of Type1 is modified, we want the workflow of all the Content Items of Type2 to get initiated, since content users look at Content Items of Type2, and they should be ones to approve or reject the changes.

Workflows don’t get “initiated” in the manner you describe. They are always running.

It’s not clear exactly what you want to have happen when an item included in a slot is edited. Do you want the owner of the parent document to be notified, or do you want the parent document removed from the web site pending “re-approval”?

We’ve done notification of this sort before, but it requires customization. It cannot be done “out of the box”.

Yes…I would like the owner of the parent document notified, and have them approve/ disapprove the changes to the child content item.

I do understand it is not possible to do Out of the Box, but am in the process of designing an extension to implement it.

My plan was that whenever a change is made to the revision of the child content item, there can be a post process extension triggered. This extension will get a list of all the Parent documents where this child has been added. Then somehow trigger the workflow for those parent items.

Can all this be done via API?

thanks
Manvinder