Scheduled Task Notification email

We have incremental editions that run as scheduled tasks. In my other post, I mentioned about issues during scheduled edition running. The client is asking if we can have notification sent out if the edition fails. The edition is basically not failing but hanging on the Committing stage. The only option I see for the notifications is: Always, On Failure, Never.

Is there any way to send notifications if the edition is actually failing because it is hanging on committing state. It is not show failing, as it hangs on this state for more than 10 hours and still the wheels keeps spinning.

thanks
Manvinder

What version is the instance running? Is the patch level current on that version?

The time out settings are set in the AppServer/server/rx/deploy/rxapp.ear/rxapp.war/WEB-INF/config/spring/server-beans.xml file. The default is 10 hours so it sounds like the job is hitting that time out. The Edition should exit with a failure when it times out. Is that not happening?

You could try changing the timeout to a shorter value to cut down on the time before the job times out.

<bean class="com.percussion.services.utils.general.PSServiceConfigurationBean" id="sys_beanConfiguration">
		<!-- Properties that can be set here:
			(defaults to 0. 
				It is the max number of content nodes cached by the assembly service)  
			<property name="maxCachedContentNodeSize" value="0"/> 
			(defaults to 600 minutes or 10 hours.
				It is the timeout that a publishing job to wait for the job specific status updates from the processed publishing work)  
			<property name="publishJobTimeout" value="600"/>
			(defaults to 10 minutes
				It is the timeout that a publishing job to wait for the notification of any publishing job status updates (from the queue). This is acting like a heartbeat of the publishing queue.  
			<property name="publishQueueTimeout" value="10"/>
		-->

A couple of other things to try:

1.) Stop the instance.

2.) Clear the contents of the AppServer/server/rx/tmp , AppServer/server/rx/data, AppServer/server/rx/work directories (not the folders just the contents of the folders)

3.) Restart

The Data directory contains the default Queue for publishing, so clearing it should reset those tables, it’s possible there is a bad entry there that is causing the publisher to think all of the content is not delivered yet.

One other file to look at is the AppServer/server/rx/deploy/rxapp.ear/rxapp.war/config/user/spring/publisher-beans.xml.

-n

[QUOTE=manvinder12;21094]We have incremental editions that run as scheduled tasks. In my other post, I mentioned about issues during scheduled edition running. The client is asking if we can have notification sent out if the edition fails. The edition is basically not failing but hanging on the Committing stage. The only option I see for the notifications is: Always, On Failure, Never.

Is there any way to send notifications if the edition is actually failing because it is hanging on committing state. It is not show failing, as it hangs on this state for more than 10 hours and still the wheels keeps spinning.

thanks
Manvinder[/QUOTE]

It looks like we don’t even have the timeout settings in our server-beans.xml file.
Also just to add, we have over 10 other incremental editions that run at the same time. They all are completing fine without any issues. It is only this one particular edition that fails every morning. It is scheduled to run every 2 hour. It only hangs on the first execution. After we kill it during the morning, it runs fine for the rest of the day its scheduled runs.

You need to manually add the timeout properties if this is an upgraded server. The default behavior is to assume the default of 10 hours. That won’t solve your problem but it will cause the timeout error to occur much sooner.

Clearly there is something up with that Edition.

Were you able to remove temp files from the directories and restart the instance? Also what version and patch level is this instance running?

-n

[QUOTE=manvinder12;21096]It looks like we don’t even have the timeout settings in our server-beans.xml file.
Also just to add, we have over 10 other incremental editions that run at the same time. They all are completing fine without any issues. It is only this one particular edition that fails every morning. It is scheduled to run every 2 hour. It only hangs on the first execution. After we kill it during the morning, it runs fine for the rest of the day its scheduled runs.[/QUOTE]

So when you are saying:

Clear the contents of the AppServer/server/rx/tmp , AppServer/server/rx/data, AppServer/server/rx/work directories (not the folders just the contents of the folders)

I am concerned about this, as there are many subfolder nested under them. Do you want me to go into each subfolder, and I clear them, and maintain the folder structure? Or should I simply delete everything under the above top level folders you mentioned?

As this is a production instance, and there are many other editions running successfully, so I do not want to take any chances.

Still I am not able to understand, why other incremental editions running under the same instance are able to complete without any issues, but only this particular edition is hanging. We have over 10 different sites on this instance, and each has its own full and incremental editions.
thanks
Manvinder

These directories are dynamically created at server startup. They contain things like cached compiled code and temporary files and data. The publishing message queue is actually stored in the data directory, so clearing it eliminates the possibility of a bad message queue record that could be causing the edition to never finish. You can completely clear the contents of each of the folders.

If you are concerned. When you take the server down, copy those folders into a backup folder out of the installation tree before you clear the contents of the directories and restart the instance.

-n

[QUOTE=manvinder12;21101]So when you are saying:

I am concerned about this, as there are many subfolder nested under them. Do you want me to go into each subfolder, and I clear them, and maintain the folder structure? Or should I simply delete everything under the above top level folders you mentioned?

As this is a production instance, and there are many other editions running successfully, so I do not want to take any chances.

Still I am not able to understand, why other incremental editions running under the same instance are able to complete without any issues, but only this particular edition is hanging. We have over 10 different sites on this instance, and each has its own full and incremental editions.
thanks
Manvinder[/QUOTE]