Sub-admin/site-admin

I’m having trouble getting the ACLs to be granular enough. I’d like to have a role - site admins - to allow them publish their own sites but no one else’s. The Admin role gives too much power, but other roles don’t give enough. Apparently if someone isn’t a member of the Admin role, they can never see the Publishing or Workflow tabs. Is it possible to allow users to see two tabs instead of three?

On a related note, if someone is an admin in one community, it apparently allows them to create new content or remove existing content from Content Explorer folders in every community. Is it possible to create an intermediate role that gives them admin authority only in their own community?

I’m not sure…but in a very related question… Is it imperative that a user be in the “Admin” group to have access to the Workflow and Publish tabs in the Content Manager.

Would like to also establishe a “Site Admin” role of users that can not access or see any publishing elements from other sites.

Alan

Assuming you’re in 6.5.2…

We use the Folder Community to restrict visibility of sites from one another. This means that whoever you have in your Admin Role must also be in every Community role so they can get to the various sites.

We also use the Security ACL on the Site Root Folder to set:
Everyone with Read (for search and shared content purposes)
Applicable Community Role with Read/Write
Admin with Read/Write/Admin

We expect to have over 200 individual sites in our Rhythmyx implementation. For that reason, in our production environment, we don’t want anyone other than an Admin to ever get to the Publishing or Workflow tabs. For our development, preproduction, and training instances, we do allow the Designer role access to the additional tabs. I think that access to those is controlled through the XML Server Tab in workbench, but it’s been several months since I looked.

If all you want them to be able to do is publish their site, you should consider the Publish Now feature. According to the docs, you create a special edition, but we simply point the Publish Now editionid to our incremental editionid. That guarantees that any other dependent items (in the public state) also get published. We do not offer Publish Now to all of our sites, for fear of server resources being taxed, but for core University sites, we do.

Hi Michael

I normally created a custom action menu item that publishes a specific edition. You can then apply roles/community permissions you like then.

Cheers
James

In Rhythmyx, Admin is for Rhythmyx administration. The out-of-the-box implementation does not provide for individual site administration. From a Rhythmyx Server point of view, an administrator is a Rhythmyx Server administrator. You could probably write a custom jsp to do this for your sites, or contact PSO for help with that.

One of the other questions asked was if you needed to be a user in the Admin role to see the Publishing tab. Out-of-the-box, yes you do. With 6.5, you either see all 3 tabs (and are an admin) or you only get the Content tab displayed.

Rhonda